Lycian Way Walk
The Lycian Way really takes you away from the tourist trail, revealing a truly sensational Turkey where you feel as if you are walking back in time. One moment you are stumbling across a Lycian sarcophagus, the next an ox-ploughed field, and all the way discovering local village communities living totally sustainably with the same hospitality that Homer spoke of…
The trek starts in Fethiye and ends near Antalya in southern Turkey. It is a little over 400 km from beginning to end, mainly following footpaths and mule trails. The route is graded medium to hard; it is not level walking generally crossing tufa or limestone, and involves a lot of ascent and descent as it moves to and from the line of the coast. This diverse and extraordinarily beautiful walk is well marked although sometimes overgrown which just adds to its charm..
The best time of year to do the trek is in the spring and early summer months, and autumn, when the land is alive and green, and the temperatures are most comfortable. Summers are very hot although walking short shady sections of the trek is a good option. Winters in the region are wet. For more detailed info, Kate Clow's book, The Lycian Way, is an essential companion for both Lycian historical information and trail finding.
Lycian Way Accommodation
There is a great choice of Lycian Way walks to do while based at Black Tree, taking advantage of our vehicle drop-off or pick-up if wanted. We can arrange a guide to go with you, or simply take off on your own. The following are some hiking ideas that give you a fantastic days walking and a taste of ancient history:
Lycian Way day hike itineraries:
- Hike down to Kabak beach along the Lycian trail (11km).
- Trek to Kabak Beach (11km) and from there take a boat to St.Nicholas Island. Return via Gemiler Bay over land and visit Kayakoy and Levissi. Vehicle pick up to Blacktree.
- Trek along the Lycian Way to Kabak (11 km) with lunch in local Inn (3km) and vehicle pick-up to Black Tree.
- Trek to Pinara (11 km) with lunch in private local house. Vehicle pick up to Black Tree.
- Coastal drop-off at Kabak Beach to walk the Lycian Way passing the Seven Capes and ending up in Sydima.
- Walk from Alinca to Kabak Beach. Vehicle back to Black Tree.
- Ovacik - Kozagaci - Alinca route. Vehicle back to Black Tree.